What's new on the EC's Research and Innovation website

Susanne Henningsen hennings at ictp.it
Mon Dec 21 14:50:52 CET 2020

read on-line version
<https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/rtd/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?newsletter_service_id=1325&lang=en>
| ISSN 2599-9222

  Research and Innovation

    What's new

European Commission Logo

Header Image

follow us : ‌ icon Twitter <https://twitter.com/EUScienceInnov> ‌ icon
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/EUScienceInnov/> ‌ icon Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/EUScienceInnovation> ‌ icon RSS
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=rss&lg=en> ‌

News Alerts
European Commission signs a new working arrangement with the World
Meteorological Organisation
On 14 December, the European Commissioner for Innovation, Research,
Culture, Education and Youth, Mariya Gabriel, and the World
Meteorological Organization (WMO) Secretary-General, Professor Petteri
Taalas, signed a working arrangement between the European Commission and
WMO during a virtual signature ceremony.

Commissioner Gabriel said:

The work carried out by the World Meteorological Organization has been
and will remain of the utmost importance to support international
research and innovation efforts in key areas such as climate change,
disaster risk reduction and environmental observation. This working
arrangement strengthens the cooperation between the European Commission
and WMO and broadens its scope. I will contribute to achieving the
objectives of the European Green Deal and sharing the EU’s experiences
in this with our international partners/./

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/news/european-commission-signs-new-working-arrangement-world-meteorological-organisation-2020-dec-14_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	European Green deal
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/strategy/european-green-deal_en?pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Success stories
Computer model targets more effective cancer treatments

A groundbreaking EU-funded project has created a new method for
developing multidrug cancer treatments. Many of the cancers this method
targets have proven very difficult to treat with conventional medicines.
As a result, this innovation has the potential to save thousands of
lives every year.

Photo

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/article_en.cfm?id=/research/headlines/news/article_20_12_15_en.html?infocentre&item=Infocentre&artid=53866&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	More Success stories
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/index_en.cfm?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Events
Biodegradability of plastics in the open environment

This scientific opinion examines the conditions and criteria under which
biodegradable plastic applications can be beneficial for the
environment, and provides advice to inform decisions by society,
consumers, businesses and policy makers.

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/biodegradability-plastics-open-environment_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Group of Chief Scientific Advisors
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/strategy/support-policy-making/scientific-support-eu-policies/group-chief-scientific-advisors_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Horizon magazine
Twenty surprising scientific facts we learned in 2020

 From corals bunkering down in deeper waters to wait out climate change
stress, to how vaccines can boost our immune system beyond a specific
disease – here are the 20 most surprising scientific facts that we
discovered this year

Photo

	Main URL
<https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/twenty-surprising-scientific-facts-we-learned-2020.html>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Horizon magazine <https://horizon-magazine.eu/>

The European Commission is committed to personal data protection. Any
personal data is processed in line with the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1725&from=EN>.
Please read the privacy statement
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/pdf/ssps_communication_19022019.pdf>.