Seminar announcement 11 December 2020 - Giovanni Bellettini

Emilia Mezzetti mezzette at units.it
Wed Dec 9 09:25:20 CET 2020

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

As part of the Department of Excellence project, the Department of
Mathematics and Geosciences of the University of Trieste organizes a
seminar by

Giovanni Bellettini, Universita' di Siena,

"On the value of the area of the graph of a nonsmooth map from the
plane to the plane”,

on Friday 11 December, at 14:00, via Zoom at the link
     https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87237140403?
No password is required.
Everybody interested is much welcome to attend.

Abstract:
We are interested in understanding what is the value of the area of
the graph $G_u$ of a nonsmooth map $u$ from the plane to the plane.
Typical examples of such $u$ are piecewise constant maps, and
vortex-type maps: their graph is a nonsmooth two-dimensional manifold
in four-dimensional space. We show some estimates for the value of the
area of $G_u$, the precise expression being computable, at the moment,
only for very few examples with a high degree of symmetry.
Geometrically, the problem is to understand how to fill the ``holes''
of $G_u$, in the most economic way in terms of two-dimensional area,
using sequences of approximating smooth
two-dimensional surfaces of graph type in $R^4$.

Emilia Mezzetti

--
Emilia Mezzetti
Professore di Geometria/Professor of Geometry

mezzette at units.it
Tel./Ph. +39 040 558 2650
skype: emiliamezzetti