Condensed Matter Seminar: Thursday, 14 January 2021 at 11:00 am

Ivanissevich Nicoletta ivanisse at ictp.it
Wed Dec 9 09:28:20 CET 2020

Virtual Meeting

CMSP Seminar
/

** * * Thursday 14 January 2021 at 11:00 a.m.*** * **

Speaker:*Seyed Akbar JAFARI***(Sharif University of Technology, Tehran)

Title: *Solid-state spacetimes*

The virtual venue of the meeting will be: https://vc.sharif.edu/ch/scs
<https://vc.sharif.edu/ch/scs>
To enter the virtual seminar room, a compatible browser (e.g. Chrome) is
required. Upon clicking on the above link, in the right bottom set the
language to English and simply click on the “Guest” (brown button). Then
you will be prompted to choose a name.

_Abstract:_
Can solid state physics provide conditions where electric forces can
manipulate an “emergent” spacetime geometry? Exemplified by the well
known Dirac material, graphene, some solids admit effective low-energy
excitations that enjoy an emergent Lorentz symmetry — hence an emergent
Minkowski spacetime structure. Some other solids allow for an effective
“tilted” Dirac cone in their electronic excitations spectrum. In this
talk I will show that the root cause of such a tilt can be regarded as
an underlying spacetime structure, described by certain metric. I
discuss some phenomena and their spectroscopic manifestations that
result from the metric structure.

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/  <https://www.ictp.it/>

----