Invitation to a Joint ICTP-SISSA Webinar Colloquium by Prof.Luca Ferretti on Friday 24 April 2020 at 14:00 on "Epidemic Control of COVID-19 Through Instantaneous Contact Tracing: The Case for a Mobile App-based Solution"

ICTP/director - Makkawi Zina director at ictp.it
Tue Apr 21 14:27:08 CEST 2020

Dear All,

You  are most cordially invited to a Joint ICTP-SISSA Webinar Colloquium
by Prof. Luca Ferretti, on Friday 24 April 2020 at 14:00, on "Epidemic
Control of COVID-19 Through Instantaneous Contact Tracing: The Case for
a Mobile App-based Solution"

*Pre-registration* is required at the following url:
*https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hVd-EXGkSMeZIhp0nzwTjQ *
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

*Biosketch: *After completing an MSc from Scuola Normale Superiore and a
PhD in theoretical particle physics from SISSA, Dr Ferretti moved to
Barcelona, Cologne and Paris to focus on population genomics. In 2015,
he moved to the Pirbright Institute (UK) to study dynamics of pathogens
and viral-host interactions. Ferretti's current research at the Big Data
Institute in Oxford involves an interplay of epidemiology, genetics,
evolution and within-host dynamics of HIV and other viral pathogens such
as FMDV and ASF.

*Abstract: *There is an ongoing public debate about mobile apps for
contact tracing. Their implications in terms of privacy and data
security are under intense scrutiny by cybersecurity experts, lawyers
and politicians, as well as the general public. Unfortunately, the most
important questions are often absent from this debate: what is the
epidemiological rationale behind the suggestion to deploy such a risky
tool? Which role would these apps play in the control of the COVID-19
epidemic, and why are they so relevant? In this talk, I will present the
scientific arguments underpinning the answers. I will summarise our
understanding of COVID-19 epidemiology and SARS-CoV-2 transmission and I
will discuss the challenges of different containment strategies for this
epidemic. In this framework, I will highlight how speed and efficiency
are the main determinants of the effectiveness of contact tracing in
controlling the epidemic, and why digital solutions are the most
promising ones. I will also discuss current limitations and challenges
of app-based approaches.

For more info, please check the following http://indico.ictp.it/event/9351/

We look forward to seeing you online!

With best regards,