Gigliola Staffilani's colloquium

Antonio Lerario lerario at sissa.it
Tue Apr 7 15:44:30 CEST 2020

Dear all,

this is to announce our first seminar from the SISSA online mathematical
colloquia series:

Speaker: Gigliola Staffilani (MIT)
Title: The Schrodinger equations as inspiration of beautiful mathematics.
Date and venue: April 8 at 4pm, https://us04web.zoom.us/j/159811279

Abstract: In the last two decades  great progress has been made in the
study of dispersive and wave equations.  Over the years the toolbox used in
order to attack highly nontrivial problems related to these equations has
developed to include a collection of techniques: Fourier and harmonic
analysis, analytic number theory, math physics, dynamical systems,
probability and symplectic geometry. In this talk I will introduce a
variety of results using as model problem the periodic 2D cubic nonlinear
Schrodinger equation. I will start by giving a   physical  derivation of
the equation derived  from a quantum many-particles system, I will
introduce periodic Strichartz estimates along with  some remarkable
connections to analytic number theory, I will move on the concept of energy
transfer and its connection to  dynamical systems, and I will end with some
results, such as the non-squeezing theorem, that one can obtain once the
equation is viewed in the frequency space as an  infinite dimension
Hamiltonian system.

See you online tomorrow!
Antonio
--