QLS guest webinar - Tuesday, 14 April 11h00

qls at ictp.it qls at ictp.it
Mon Apr 6 16:56:50 CEST 2020

Dear All,

On Tuesday, 14  April at 11h00 Alia Abbara and Cedric Gerbelot(Laboratoire de Physique, ENS Paris)
will give a webinar titled "Asymptotic errors for convex penalized linear regression beyond Gaussian matrices and extension to the generalized linear model"

Abstract:

We consider the problem of learning a coefficient vector x0 ∈ RN from
noisy linear observations y=Fx0+w∈RM in the high dimensional limit M,N →
∞ with α ≡ M/N fixed. We provide a rigorous derivation of an explicit
formula —first conjectured using heuristic methods from statistical
physics— for the asymptotic mean squared error obtained by penalized
convex regression estimators such as the LASSO or the elastic net, for a
class of very generic random ma- trices corresponding to rotationally
invariant data matrices with arbitrary spectrum. The proof is based on a
convergence analysis of an oracle version of vector approximate
message-passing (oracle-VAMP) and on the properties of its state
evolution equations. Our method leverages on and highlights the link
between vector approximate message-passing, Douglas-Rachford splitting
and proximal descent algorithms, extending previous results obtained
with i.i.d. matrices for a large class of problems. We illustrate our
results on some concrete examples and show that even though they are
asymptotic, our predictions agree remarkably well with numerics even for
very moderate sizes.
We then show how the same proof can be extended to the generalized
linear model using an oracle version of generalized vector approximate
message passing (oracle-GVAMP) and a more elaborate convergence proof
based on Lyapunov arguments from control theory.

Here is the Zoom meeting ID to attend the online seminar:
Meeting ID: 475-819-702
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/475819702

Kind regards,