CMSP Seminar @ICTP, Thursday 28 November at 11am - Uli SCHOLLWOECK

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 22 08:48:57 CET 2019

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

Thursday 28 November at 11:00 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo building

Speaker: Uli Schollwoeck
LMU, Munich, Germany
Title: QUO VADIS DMRG?

Abstract:

The density-matrix renormalization group (DMRG), based on matrix product
states (MPS), is arguably the most successful group of algorithms in the
tensor network framework and has established itself as the leading
method for one-dimensional model Hamiltonians in equilibrium and to a
large extent also out of equilibrium. The question is, of course, can we
go beyond that? In this talk, I want to review progress made in the
development of time-dependent simulations over the last few years, and
show how it has been instrumental in allowing powerful applications in
the field of more realistic material simulations for correlated matter
when combined with the dynamical mean-field theory (DMFT). Finally, I
want to show how automated modifications of the underlying
single-particle bases allow much more powerful simulations for
two-dimensional model Hamiltonians such as the Hubbard model, a
development which is still in its early stages.

--
Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http:://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx