CMSP Seminar @ICTP, Wednesday 27 November 4:00 p.m. - Matteo POLETTINI

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 22 08:48:42 CET 2019

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

Wednesday 27 November at 4:00 p.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo building

Speaker: Matteo POLETTINI
University of Luxembourg

Title: Fluctuation Relations for Open Systems

Abstract:

The celebrated fluctuation relations (Crook's fluctuation theorem,
Jarzinsky's identity, Gallavotti-Cohen symmetry etc.) express the
time-irreversibility of an open system's evolution and link it to
thermodynamic quantities such as entropy production, dissipated work
etc. In a way, they provide stochastic formulations of the Second Law of
thermodynamics. In this lecture I will provide the simplest possible
derivation of fluctuation relations and discuss the possibility of
generalizing them in the case where the observer has partial information
about the system. I will also briefly touch on the formulation of
fluctuation relations for quantum systems.