CMSP Seminar tomorrow @ICTP Tuesday 28 May at 2:00 p.m. - Norman J.M. HORING

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Mon May 27 10:57:57 CEST 2019

Condensed Matter  Physics Seminar

Kindly note change of venue: Lundqvist Lecture Room at 2 p.m.

Tuesday 28 May at 2:00 p.m.
Lundqvist Lecture Room, lower level 1, Adriatico Guest House

Norman J.M. HORING
Dept. of Physics, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken NJ, U.S.A.

'Quantum Dynamics and Statistical Thermodynamics of Nanostructured
Dirac-like Materials in a High Magnetic Field'

Abstract:
We discuss in detail the effects of Landau quantization  on the quantum
dynamics and
statistical thermodynamics of Dirac-like materials in a high magnetic
field. This discussion
addresses the Group VI Dichalcogenides and Graphene in particular, but
it also extends
to the "Diced Lattice" as well as Silicene and Topological Insulators,
etc. We also treat the
role of nanostructures in Dirac-like materials, including quantum dots,
quantum wires and
a lattice of anti-dots.

Starting with the derivation of the Landau-quantized  "relativistic"
Green's  function for
Dirac-like materials in position and momentum representations, as well
as in eigenfunction
representation,the associated energy spectrum in a high magnetic field
is discussed.
Furthermore, we develop the Green's functions for a model quantum dot in
Graphene and
a model quantum wire in the Group VI Dichalcogenides,  examining their
Landau quantized
spectra as well. We also treat the case of a periodic lattice of
anti-dots in the Dichalcogenides,
tracing in detail the development  of Landau minibands, with an explicit
derivation of the
Green's function for "relativistic" carriers in the lattice in a high
magnetic field.

In addition to the above-cited quantum dynamical stndies of "Dirac-like"
materials (and spectra)
in a high magnetic field we have also examined their statistical
thermodynamics, developing
the associated thermodynamic Green's function and spectral weight
/matrix /subject to Landau
quantization.  With this we have determined the Helmholtz Free Energy,
the Grand Partition
Function as well as the ordinary Partition Function and the Entropy for
the Dichalcogenides and
the Diced Lattice in a high magnetic field /explicitly; /and have
employed these to evaluate the
magnetization of the "Dirac-like" materials in both degenerate and non­
degenerate statistical
regimes, replete with de Haas-van Alphen oscillatory phenomenology (in
the degenerate case).