Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Thursday 11 July at 16:00 (Guido DE PHILIPPIS)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Jun 25 11:40:03 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Thursday 11 July, at 16:00 hrs.

Guido De Philippis (SISSA)

Title: Singular two dimensional area minimizing surfaces

Abstract: One of the oldest problem in geometric analysis and in the
calculus of variations consists  in finding a surface of leat area
surface spannend by a given smooth curve $\gamma$. The approach of
Douglas and Rad ensures,  for each prescribed genus, the existence of a
surface minimizing the area among all the ones with smaller genus. On
the other hand, after the seminal work of Federer and Fleming, it is
always possible to find a mass minimizing current spanned by $\gamma$.
When the Federer fleming solution is smooth (up to the boundary) , it
naturally coincides with the Dougals Rado solution. In co-dimension one,
thanks to the seminal work of De Giorgi and Hardt-Simon, this is indeed
the case. In higher co-dimension the question is not yet completely
understood and new phenomena might appear. In this talk, after surveying
the known results,  I will present the construction  of a smooth curve
in a 4 dimensional Riemannian manifold which spans an area minimizing
surface with infinite genus. This is based on a joint work with C. De
Lellis and J. Hirsch.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

http://indico.ictp.it/event/8994/

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela