Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Thursday 4 July at 16:00 (Friedrich LITTMANN)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Jun 25 10:58:57 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Thursday 4 July, at 16:00 hrs.

VENUE: *Euler Lecture Hall* (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, terrace level)

Friedrich Littmann (North Dakota State University - USA)

Title: Concentration inequalities for bandlimited functions

Abstract: In this talk the following problem is considered: How much of
an integral norm of a function with compactly supported Fourier
transform can be concentrated on a sparse subset of the real line?

The inequalities that form an answer to this question turn out to be the
main building blocks for applications from signal processing and
analytic number theory. I will describe some of the applications and
will outline existing strategies (building on work of Selberg and of
Donoho and Logan) to prove these inequalities.

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela