REMINDER: Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Thursday 11 July at 14:30 (Matias DELGADINO)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Wed Jul 10 12:55:31 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Thursday 11 July, at 14:30 hrs.

Speaker: Matias Delgadino (Imperial College - London)

Title: Diffusion and mixing in incompressible flows

Abstract: We study diffusion and mixing in different fluid dynamics
models, mainly related to incompressible flows. In this setting, mixing
is a purely advective effect which causes a transfer of energy to high
frequencies. Mixing acts to enhance the dissipative forces, giving rise
to what we refer to as enhanced dissipation. We understand by this the
identification of a decay time-scale, which is faster than the purely
diffusive one. We will give a general quantitative criterion that links
mixing rates (in terms of decay of negative Sobolev norms) to enhanced
dissipation time-scales. Applications include passive scalar evolution
in both planar and radial settings, fractional diffusion, linearized
two-dimensional Navier-Stokes equations, and even simple examples in
kinetic theory.

http://indico.ictp.it/event/9005/

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela