Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Tuesday 9 July at 16:00 (Manjil SAIKIA)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jul 1 17:28:43 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Tuesday 9 July, at 16:00 hrs.

Speaker: Manjil Saikia (University of Vienna)

Title: The story of alternating sign matrices… so far

Abstract: The sequence of numbers 1,2,7,42, 429, ...
(http://oeis.org/A005130) counts several remarkable combinatorial
objects, one of which is alternating sign matrices (ASMs). These
matrices have become an object of fervent study by combinatorialists
because of the inherent simplicity and beauty of enumerative results
related to them which are notoriously difficult to prove. I will give a
brief history of how these objects were introduced and eventually
enumerated, which will already lead to connections with other areas
(most notably lattice models in statistical physics). In the second
part, I will speak about recent joint work with Ilse Fischer that gives
several new refined enumeration results for symmetry classes of ASMs.
The talk will be self-contained.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

--

Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela