ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday 31 January, at 14:30 (Jorge ANTEZANA)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Wed Jan 30 16:39:57 CET 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Thursday 31 January, at 14:30 hrs.

Jorge Antezana (Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina)

Title: Geometric means of positive definite matrices

Abstract:  In this talk, first of all we will recall some ideas that led
to the definition of the geometric mean of two positive definite
matrices. Then, we will see how this geometric mean is related with the
complex interpolation method, with the Riemannian structure of the cone
of positive definite matrices, and finally, with recent results about
barycenters in metric spaces with negative curvature.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela