PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF SEMINAR TIME (14:30) - ICTP Stasi Seminar room, (Speaker: Gabor WEISE)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jan 28 15:15:21 CET 2019

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIME OF THE SEMINAR HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM 14:30 TO
15:30.

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Tuesday 29 January, at 14:30 hrs.

Gabor Wiese (Université du Luxembourg)

Title: Finiteness questions for Galois representations

Abstract:  Let p be a prime number. Due to classical work of Shimura and
Deligne, to any "newform" (a modular form that is an eigenfunction for
the Hecke operators and assumed of level one in the talk) one attaches a
p-adic Galois representation. Since there are infinitely many newforms,
there are infinitely many attached p-adic Galois representations.
However, if one reduces them modulo p, there are only finitely many (up
to isomorphism).
It is tempting to ask what happens "in between", i.e. whether there is
still finiteness modulo fixed prime powers. In the talk, I will motivate
and explain a conjecture made with Ian Kiming and Nadim Rustom and
explain partial results, including a relation to a strong question by
Kevin Buzzard.
The talk is based on joint work with Ian Kiming and Nadim Rustom.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela