CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Thursday 28 February at 11am - L. BORTOLUSSI

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Feb 22 16:44:37 CET 2019

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar Series

Thursday 28 February at 11:00 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo building

Luca BORTOLUSSI
University of Trieste

'Combining Machine Learning and Logic for Complex Systems'

Abstract:
Mathematical and statistical modelling of complex systems is one
of the key methods to understand and master their complexity. In
this talk, I will first show how Bayesian machine learning can be
combined with mathematical logic (specifically, temporal and spatio-
temporal logic) to provide effective tools to analyse the behaviour of
complex systems, unveiling their emergent properties, and to tackle
system design parameter synthesis, and model identification. In the
second part of the talk, I will discuss some work in progress, extending
the previous ideas to tackle (related) problems like: automatic learning
of model abstractions, using also Deep Neural Networks, with applications
in multiscale modelling in systems biology and in geophysics, and
learning of logic-based classifiers in the context of explainable Al.