SP Seminar @ICTP - Tuesday 17 December at 11am - Guido Pagano

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Dec 11 09:58:42 CET 2019

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar
An TQT Event

Tuesday 17 December at 11:00 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor Leonardo building

Speaker: Guido PAGANO
Rice University, Houston Texas, / U.S.A.

Title: From Quantum Algorithms to Out-of-Equilibrium
Phenomena in Interacting Trapped-Ion Spin Chains

Abstract:
Laser cooled trapped ions offer unprecedented control over both internal and
external degrees of freedom at the single-particle level. They are
considered among
the foremost candidates for realizing quantum simulation and computation
platforms
that can outperform classical computers at specific tasks. In this talk
I will show how
linear arrays of trapped 171Yb+ ions can be used as a versatile platform
for studying
out-of-equilibrium strongly correlated many-body quantum systems.
In particular I will present our observation of a new type of
out-of-equilibrium
dynamical phase transition in a spin system with over 50 spins [1].
Moreover, I will
show our latest efforts towards scaling up the trapped-ion quantum
simulator [2]
using a cryo-pumped vacuum chamber where we can trap more than 100 ions
indefinitely. The reliable production and lifetime of large linear ion
chains enabled us
to use up to 40 trapped-ion qubits to observe real-time domain wall
confinement in an
interacting spin chain [3, 4] and to implement a Quantum Approximate
Optimization
Algorithm (QAOA) to approximate the ground state energy of a transverse
field Ising
model [5].