SP Seminar @SISSA Via Bonomea 265 - Monday 15 April at 11am - Wolf von Klitzing

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Apr 11 14:18:20 CEST 2019

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

_Please note unusual __day for Joint SP Seminars - MONDAY_

Monday 15 April at 11:00 a.m.
SISSA Via Bonomea 265

Wolf von Klitzing
Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser, Foundation for Research
and Technology-Hellas, Heraklion, Greece

'Hypersonic Transport of Bose-Einstein Condensates in a Neutral-Atom
Accelerator Ring '

Abstract:
Some of the most sensitive and precise measurements to date are based
on matterwave interferometry using freely falling atoms. Examples include
ultra-high-precision measurements of inertia, gravity and rotation sensing
[1-3]. Unfortunately, interaction time has to be very long in order to
achieve
very high sensitivities, resulting in interferometers often ten or even one
hundred meters high or in the experiments having to be carried out in micro
gravity on the space station[4-7]. Coherent matterwave guides and
atomtronics
will make possible highly compact devices having much extended interaction
times and thus much increased sensitivity[8], which can be exploited
both for
fundamental and practical measurements. Here, we demonstrate [10] for the
first time extremely smooth, coherence-preserving matterwave guides based
on time-averaged adiabatic potentials (TAAP) [9]. We do so by guiding Bose-
Einstein condensates (BEC) over macroscopic distances without affecting
their internal coherence: We use a novel magnetic accelerator ring to
accelerate
BECs to more than 16x their velocity of sound. We transport the BECs in the
TAAP over truly macroscopic distances (15 cm) whilst preserving their
internal
coherence. The BECs can also be released into the waveguide (Fig.1c) with
barriers controllable down to 200 pK giving rise to new regimes of
tunnelling
and transport through mesoscopic channels. The high angular momentum of
more than 40000 h per atom and high velocities raises interesting
possibilities
with respect to the higher Landau levels of quantum Hall states of atoms and
open new perspectives in the study of superfluidity. Coherent matterwave
guides
will result in much longer measurement times (here > 4 s) and much increased
sensitivity in highly compact devices. This will raise the spectre of
compact,
portable guided-atom interferometers for fundamental experiments and
applications
like gravity mapping or navigation.