SP Seminar @ICTP Leonardo Building Thursday 11 April at 11am - Claudio CASTELNOVO

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Apr 5 09:00:53 CEST 2019

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

_Please note unusual __day for Joint SP Seminars - Thursday_

THURSDAY 11 April at 11:00 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, First floor, Leonardo building

Claudio CASTELNOVO
University of Cambridge, U.K.

'Seeing Beyond the Light: Vision and Photon Electrodynamics in
Quantum Spin Ice'

Abstract:
Understanding the nature and behaviour of excitations in quantum spin
liquids, and in
topological phases of matter in general, is of fundamental importance
and has proven
crucial for experimental detection and characterisation of candidate
materials. Current
theoretical and numerical techniques, however, have limited
capabilities, especially when
it comes to studying gapped excitations. In this talk, I will discuss a
semiclassical numerical
method, based on a large-$S$ path integral approach, to study systems
whose spin liquid
behaviour is underpinned by perturbative ring-exchange Hamiltonians. The
method can
readily access both thermodynamic and spectral properties. I will focus
in particular on
quantum spin ice and its photon and vison excitations. After
benchmarking the method
against existing results on photons, I will show how it can be used to
characterise visons
and their thermodynamic  behaviour. We find that visons form a weak
electrolyte -- in contrast
to spinons in classical spin ice. That is, vison pairs are the dominant
population at low
temperatures. This is reflected in the behaviour of thermodynamic
quantities, such as pinch
point motifs in the relevant correlators. Moreover, visons appear to
strongly hybridise with
the photon background, a phenomenon that likely affects the way these
quasiparticles may
show up in inelastic response measurements. I will conclude with a brief
discussion of the
significance of our results and an outlook on further applications of
our method.