QLS guest seminar - 25 October

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Oct 23 08:55:40 CEST 2018

QLS GUEST SEMINAR

Thursday, 25 October 2018 11h00
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut 2

Speaker:  Maryam Aliee - PULS group, Institut für Theoretische Physik,
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität, Erlangen, Germany

Title: Establishment of large-scale patterns by short-range interactions
in biological tissues

Abstract: Biological tissues represent fascinating dynamics leading to
the formation of structures and patterns at larger scales compared to
cell size. It is a big challenge to understand how cells communicate
with each other to coordinate their dynamics and create orders. As an
example, cells sort out into distinct populations, keeping a sharp
straight interface between them. On the other side, cells can express
polarities and the polarity field reveals long distance patterns. In
this talk, I would like to present physical models to address some
mechanisms that contribute to establishment of stable patterns. First,
we will discuss how local interactions of cells at the interface
influence its shape and mechanics. In the second case, I present
a theoretical model to describe dynamics of polarity fields. Our model
generalizes classical spin models by incorporating effective transport
of polarity molecules between neighboring cells. We study how the
intercellular transport qualitatively affects dynamics and leads to the
formation of non-trivial patterns.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8774/

--
Erica Sarnataro