seminar tomorrow

Barbara Fantechi fantechi at sissa.it
Tue Oct 23 10:12:41 CEST 2018

Tomorrow at 4:15pm in room 136, Dr Wolfgang Schmaltz from the University of
Giessen will give a talk on

Gromov-Witten Axioms for Symplectic Manifolds via Polyfold Theory

Abstract:
Polyfold theory, as developed by Hofer, Wysocki, and Zehnder, is a
relatively new approach to resolving transversality issues that arise in
the study of J-holomorphic curves in symplectic geometry. I will explain
some of the philosophy of the polyfold theoretic approach to defining the
Gromov-Witten invariants for all closed symplectic manifolds.
In 1994 Kontsevich and Manin stated the Gromov-Witten axioms, given as a
list of formal relations between the Gromov-Witten invariants. From the
point of view of polyfold theory, I will prove several of the Gromov-Witten
axioms for curves of arbitrary genus for all closed symplectic manifolds.

A master version of slides can be found at the website (talks usually
present an abridged version):
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfgang-schmaltz/home

The talk will include a significant introductory first part, making it
suitable for the non experts.
--
Mathematical Physics Sector
Sissa