QLS GUEST SEMINAR - Tuesday, 13 November 18h30

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Nov 12 14:07:02 CET 2018

Quantitative Life Sciences Guest Seminar

Tuesday, 13 November 2018 18h30
ICTP, Adriatico Guest House, Kastler Lecture Hall, via Grignano 9

Speaker: Tetsuya J. Kobayashi - Laboratory for Quantitative Biology
Institute of Industrial Science, Univ. Tokyo

Title: Inference of latent growth-related states of cells from cellular
lineage trees

Abstract:
Individual cells are phenotypically heterogeneous even with the same
genetic background. The heterogeneity endows the cells with different
growth capabilities.
This difference in turn works as the driving force of the natural
selection among the cells, and the population gradually adapt to the
environment as the population level.
Therefore, quantification of the growth capabilities from data is
crucial for understanding how the evolutionary learning of the cells is
shaped and regulated in a population.
To this end, we propose an Expectation-Maximization (EM) based algorithm
to infer the growth capability as hidden states of cells from cellular
lineage trees.
We modified the EM algorithm to account for the tree structure of the
lineage tree and resolved the sampling bias problem (survivorship bias)
that inevitably appears in an evolving population.
By applying our method to a lineage tree data of E.coli, we identified
hidden states of the cells that may be linked to the slowing changing
activity of the cells.
This method may contribute to facilitating our quantitative
understanding on the Darwinian adaptation operating at the cellular level.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8799/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary