Basic Notions Seminar and Mathematics Seminar next week

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri May 18 08:52:07 CEST 2018

1) BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR SERIES   2018

Wednesday 23 May at 14.30 hrs.

Antonello Scardicchio (ICTP)

Title:
Introduction to Quantum Computation

Abstract:
I will give a very brief introduction to the concept of computation on a
computer, and in particular on a quantum computer.
I will try to describe for which kind of problems we could expect a
speed-up due to quantum mechanics and discuss the status of the
technology in this direction.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, 1st floor)

***

2) M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S 2018

Tuesday 24 May, at 14.30 hrs.

Carolina Araujo  (IMPA)

Title:  A Geometric View on Tsen's Theorem

Abstract:
In 1936 Tsen proved that a 1-dimensional family of hypersurfaces of
degree d in projective n-space always admits a section provided that d
is less than or equal to n. This simple statement has been generalized
in many ways, and still inspires developments in algebraic geometry.
In this talk I will survey the history of Tsen’s Theorem, mostly from
the geometric point of view, and describe current re- search toward new
interpretations and generalizations.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)