prof. Gorodnik's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Fri Mar 16 08:33:20 CET 2018

Tuesday 27 March at 11:00
Venue: SISSA, Room 4

Speaker: Alexander Gorodnik, University of Bristol

Title: Chaos and Randomness in Dynamic and Arithmetics

Abstract: We will discuss the behaviour of orbits for chaotic dynamical
systems
and explore more generally how to analyse the distribution of
collections of points generated by iterative procedures.  It turns out
that these questions
are related to several basic number-theoretical problems such as, for
instance,
solving polynomial equations and finding best rational approximations.
We explain how to use these ideas to shed new light on the random-like
behaviour of arithmetic objects. In this lecture, we will take a journey
through
Number Theory, Statistical Physics, the Theory of Dynamical Systems, and
back.