ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday 22 March, at 14.00hrs (Lothar GÖTTSCHE)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Mar 12 11:09:55 CET 2018

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2018

Thursday 22 March, at 14.00 hrs.

Lothar Göttsche (ICTP)

Title:
Virtual topological invariants of moduli spaces

Abstract:
This is report on joint work with Martijn Kool.

Using arguments from theoretical physics, Vafa and Witten gave a
generating function for the Euler numbers of moduli spaces of rank 2
coherent sheaves on algebraic surfaces. Sheaves can be viewed as
generalizations of vector bundles. Moduli spaces are algebraic varieties
that parametrize the objects in which we are interested.

While the Vafa-Witten formula cannot be literally true as a formula for
the Euler numbers in general, we give an interpretation of it in terms
of virtual topological invariants, and confirm it in many cases. We
extend the results to finer topological invariants and also to rank 3.

Such virtual invariants occur everywhere in modern enumerative geometry,
inspired by physics, like Gromov-Witten invariants and Donaldson Thomas
invariants, when attempting to make sense of the predictions from
physics. Basically the idea is that the moduli spaces have very bad
properties, but they "want to be" smooth, and the virtual invariants are
those that they would have if they were smooth.

We will try to give elementary explanations of all these concepts and
their background, as much as is possible. Most of the time will be spent
to just trying to explain the problem and the result. If there is time,
some hints will be given about the methods.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)