QLS Guest Seminar - Wed. 13 June at 11:00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Jun 6 14:22:36 CEST 2018

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES  GUEST SEMINAR

Wednesday, 13 June 2018 at 11:00,
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut 2

Speaker: Anton Zadorin, LBC, CBI, ESPCI/ParisTech Paris, France

Title: Natural selection in compartmentalized environment with reshuffling

Abstract:
The emerging field of compartmentalized in vitro evolution, where
selection is carried out by differential reproduction in each
compartment, is a promising new approach to protein engineering. From
practical point of view, it is important to know the effect of the
increase in the average number of genotype bearing agents per
compartment. This effect is also interesting on its own in the context
of primordial evolution in the hypothetical RNA world. The question is
important as genotypes with different phenotypes in the same compartment
share their fitness (the number of produced copies) rendering the
selection frequency-dependent. I will show the results of a theoretical
investigation of this problem in the context of selection dynamics for a
simple model with an infinite population that is periodically
redistributed among infinite number of identical compartments, inside
which all molecules are copied without distinction with the success rate
as a function of the total genomic composition in the compartment.
Surprisingly, with a linear selection function, the selection process is
slowed down only approximately inversely proportional to the average
number of individuals per compartment. I will also demonstrate exact
forms of the governing equations for some nonlinear selection functions.
Finally, I will expose an intriguing open problem of an apparent phase
transition for an exponential selection function seen in numerical
experiments, which is missed by the current infinite population theory.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8598/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it