QLS Seminar - Tuesday, 31 July at 17h30

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Jul 30 11:19:54 CEST 2018

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR

Tuesday, 31 July 2018 at 17:30,
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, via Beirut 2

Speaker: Mina ZAREI - IASBS, Zanjan, Iran

Title:  Revealing modular architecture of the cortical networks

Abstract:
In natural systems time delays are inevitable due to the finite speed of
  the signal transmission over a distance, and are not negligible if they
  are similar to the time scales of the observed dynamics. For example in
  the brain, where the delays are on the same scale as the signal
operation, they affect the brain performances and need to be considered.
  On the other hand, many complex networks, such as the cortical
networks, are hierarchical. It means that their communities may be
further divided into sub-communities. Therefore, because of the
above-mentioned reasons, the analysis of time-delayed dynamics on
hierarchical networks may help to understand the interplay between brain
  structure and function. Based on extensive simulations in artificial
and cortical networks with homogeneous time delays, we uncovered that
for a fixed coupling strength, by changing time delay different regions
of coherent, multistable and incoherent dynamics are revealed. We show
that in a hierarchical network, by transition from incoherent to
coherent states, different topological scales of the network are
revealed respectively in a non transient behavior. In addition, we find
that by considering bimodal distribution of the time delays the
parameter regions corresponding to the multistabe dynamics will be
extended.  Finally we show that the results are connected to the global
slow dynamics of the brain.

Indico web page:http://indico.ictp.it/event/8635/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it