CMSP Seminar @ICTP Stasi, Thursday 26 July at 11:00 am- Daniel Cabra

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Jul 18 14:58:05 CEST 2018

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

Thursday 26 July at 11:00 a.m.
Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo

Daniel CABRA
Univ. Nacional de La Plata, Argentina

 From Skyrmions to Z2 Vortices in Frustrated
Chiral Magnets

Abstract:

The classical triangular antiferromagnetic Heisenberg model with
Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interactions in a magnetic field is studied. We
focus in particular on the emergence of a composite spin crystal phase
that was recently observed in [Phys. Rev. B 92, 214439 (2015)] for
intermediate fields. This complex phase, which corresponds to a lattice
of Z2 vortices, can be made up from three inter-penetrated skyrmion
lattices, one for each sub-lattice of the original triangular one. We
present our numerical results and the explicit construction of the
low-energy effective action that reproduces the correct phenomenology.
This effective action could serve as a starting point to study the
coupling to charge carriers, lattice vibrations, structural disorder and
transport phenomena.