ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday 1, February, at 14.00 hrs (Céline Maistret, Univ. of Bristol)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jan 8 16:03:03 CET 2018

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2018

Thursday 1, February, at 14.00 hrs.

Céline Maistret (University of Bristol)

Parity of ranks of abelian surfaces

Abstract:  Let K be a number field and A/K an abelian surface. By the
Mordell-Weil theorem, the group of K-rational points on A is finitely
generated and as for elliptic curves, its rank is predicted by the Birch
and Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture. A basic consequence of this conjecture
is the parity conjecture: the sign of the functional equation of the
L-series determines the parity of the rank of A/K. Under suitable local
constraints and finiteness of the Shafarevich-Tate group, we prove the
parity conjecture for principally polarized abelian surfaces. We also
prove analogous unconditional results for Selmer groups.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)