REMINDERS Two CMSP Seminars @ICTP Stasi Seminar Room this week on 12 and 13 December

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Dec 11 11:56:27 CET 2018

REMINDERS
CMSP Seminars - Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, 1st fl, Leonardo

Wednesday 12December at 4:00 p.m.

Elia MACALUSO(INO-CNR BEC Center,Trento, Povo)

Title:'Anyonic Statistics from Time-of-Flight Measurements'

While in three dimensions particles can be classified into bosons
and fermions, according to their statistical properties, this
classification breaks down in two dimensions and particles with
fractional statistics may exist. These exotic objects are called
anyons. Among the systems where anyons naturally appear,
fractional quantum Hall (FQH) systems are perhaps the most
famous. Although the anyonic statistics of the quasihole excitations
of these systems has been predicted more than 30 years ago, no
clear-cut experimental evidence is available. In this context, I will
first review the reasons why particle statistics can be different in
three and two spatial dimensions. Then, I will present our proposal
for the experimental detection of the quasihole anyonic statistics in
an ultracold atomic setup, which, with respect to the previous ones,
has the great advantage of only requiring static measurements
on the FQH cloud [1]. In conclusions, I will briefly mention the
extension of this idea to the case of non-Abelian anyons and to the
lattice analogs of the FQH states.

[1] R. O. Umucalilar, E. Macaluso, T. Comparin, and I. Carusotto,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 230403 (2018).

Thursday 13 December at 14:00 hrs.

Silvia PICOZZI(CNR-SPIN, Univ. 'G. D'Annunzio, Chieti-Pescara)

Title:Interplay Between Spin and Dipolar Degrees of Freedom

The discovery of novel properties, effects or microscopic mechanisms
in modern materials science is often driven by the quest for the
coexistence and/or interaction of several functional properties into
a single compound.
Within this framework, by exploiting the cross-coupling between spin
and electric dipoles via spin-orbit coupling in ferroelectric
semiconductors,
I will focus on the tight link between k-dependent spin-splitting in the
electronic structure, spin-texture and electric polarization. Based on
density
functional simulations, I will show our theoretical predictions of a giant
Rashba spin-splitting in several materials (ranging from bulk GeTe to
oxides), labeled as Ferro-Electric Rashba Semi-Conductors (FERSC) -
where the chirality of the spin texture is one-to-one linked to
polarization.