Basic Notions Seminar at ICTP - Tuesday 26 September, at 17:30 - Ralph GEBAUER

Math Group math at ictp.it
Wed Sep 20 12:01:10 CEST 2017

BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR SERIES   2017

Tuesday, 26 September, at 17:30 hrs.

Ralph Gebauer (ICTP)

Title: Using a computer as a microscope to understand the inner workings
of materials

Abstract:

Functional materials play an ubiquitous role in the technological world
around us. From the filaments of a light bulb to drugs against
illnesses, semiconductor chips in computers or catalysts in chemical
production plants: many breakthroughs in technological applications
relied on the discovery of materials with particular properties.

While the search for new materials was often guided by trial and error,
recently computer simulations have helped to predict the characteristics
of a substance before it is even synthesized in a lab.

But how is this done? How can a computer, by solving equations, give us
insight into how something behaves under pressure, at high temperatures,
under illumination, in electric or magnetic fields?

In this seminar, I will give a glimpse into the fast growing area of
atomistic materials modelling. I will show how it is possible to start
from the knowledge of atomic properties and bridge the scales to real
applications - and which (mathematical as well as numerical) hurdles lie
on this path.

VENUE:  Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

Tel. no.: +39-040-2240455