CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi Seminar Room Thursday 16 February at 11:30: Stefano CHESI

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Feb 13 10:54:56 CET 2017

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

Thursday 16 February at 11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker: Stefano CHESI (CSRC, Beijing, People's Republic of China)

Title: Quantum Phase Transition in the Anisotropic Rabi Model

Abstract: The quantum Rabi model (QRM) describes a two-level system
interacting with a bosonic mode and it is one of the simplest models of
light-matter interactions. If the coupling strength is small, the QRM
can be approximated by the Jaynes-Cummings (JC) model, where
counter-rotating terms are neglected. Although these models have only
few degrees of freedom, recent work has shown that a suitable limit of
both the QRM [1] and JC model [2] displays a quantum phase transition
similar to Dicke superradiance. In this talk we extend these results to
the anisotropic QRM, where rotating- and counter-rotating terms have
different weights. This question is important since typical realizations
of strong light-matter interactions (e.g., in circuit QED) naturally
have finite anisotropy. Furthermore, the quantum phase transition has
different universal properties in the known JC and isotropic QRM limits.
Through a combination of analytic and numerical approaches we compute
phase diagram, scaling functions, and critical exponents, which allows
us to establish that the universality class with finite anisotropy is
the same of the QRM. We also find other interesting features, like a
superradiance-induced freezing of the effective mass and discontinuous
scaling functions in the JC limit.

[1] M.-J. Hwang, R. Puebla, and M. B. Plenio, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115,
180404 (2015).
[2] M.-J. Hwang and M. B. Plenio, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 123602 (2016).