Rminder CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi Seminar Room WEDNESDAY 8 February at 11:00: Yingdan WANG

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Feb 7 08:50:02 CET 2017

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

KINDLY NOTE DIFFERENT DAY/TIME IN THE WEEK

Wednesday  8 February at 11:00 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker: Yingdan WANG (ITP and CSRC, Beijing, People's Republic of China)

Title: Optimized STIRAP-type State Transfer in Solid-State Quantum Devices

Abstract: Stimulated Raman Adiabatic Passage (STIRAP) is a method
developed more than two decades ago for population transfer in
Lambda-type atoms using lasers, with the aim of avoiding an
intermediate noisy level. Due to the advantages of being robust, simple,
and efficient, STIRAP and its theoretical extensions have found a large
variety of applications in atomic and molecular physics, chemistry, as
well as quantum information processing. Most recently, the coherent
control of solid-state devices has led to remarkable demonstrations of
STIRAP with superconducting qubits, optomechanical systems, and NV
centers. However, differently from atomic systems, most solid-state
quantum devices suffer significant dissipation, thus the prolonged
operation time of STIRAP (required by adiabaticity) becomes a severe
drawback. In order to provide physical insight and understand the
ultimate power of STIRAP, we have pursued an analytical treatment with
full consideration of system dissipation. We find that optimizing the
transfer time rather than coupling profiles leads to a significant
improvement of the transfer fidelity. The upper bound of the fidelity
has been found as a simple function of system cooperativities. We also
provide a systematic approach to reach this upper bound efficiently. By
including the dissipation of all the parties, our results are widely
applicable to quantum state engineering and are particularly relevant
for solid-state devices.