QLS - Guest Seminar - 9 January 2018 (change of time)

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Dec 21 10:47:18 CET 2017

*Please note change of time!*

QLS Guest Seminar on Tuesday 9 January at *14:00* - ICTP, Central Area,
2nd floor, SISSA building, Via Beirut

Title: "Records of Entropy Production at the Nanoscale"

Speaker: Edgar Roldan, Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex
Systems, Dresden, Germany

Abstract:
The laws of thermodynamics can be extended to the nanoscale, where
fluxes are fluctuating quantities. Little is known about extreme-value
statistics of thermodynamic fluxes characterising the most extreme
deviations from the average behaviours. Using Martingale theory, we
study statistics of the negative records of stochastic entropy
production in nonequilibrium steady states, and derive universal
inequalities for such distributions of records. Furthermore, we explore
the implications of our results in two non-equilibrium nanoscopic
systems: single-electron transistors and molecular motors. We report on
the experimental measurement of stochastic entropy production and of
records of negative entropy in a metallic double dot under a constant
external DC bias. Experimental results on the double dot confirm our
theory and reveal a novel bound for the maximal heat that a mesoscopic
system can absorb from its environment. We also explore our results in
active biological processes and find predictions for the maximal
excursion of a molecular motor against the direction of an external force.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8473/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it