QLS - 2 Guest Seminars - 8 and 9 January 2018

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Dec 21 09:23:12 CET 2017

The QLS section will host two guest seminars:

- Monday 8 January at  11:30 - ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA
building, Via Beirut

Title: "Disentangling bacterial invasiveness from lethality in an
experimental host-pathogen system "

Speaker: Tommaso Biancalani - Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Abstract:
Understanding virulence remains a central problem in human health, pest
control, disease ecology and evolutionary biology. Bacterial virulence
is typically quantified by phenomenological indicators such as the
/LT50/ (i.e. the time taken to kill 50% of an infected population).
However, virulence emerges as a result of complex processes that occur
at different stages: the pathogen needs to breach the primary host
defenses, find a suitable environment to replicate, and finally express
the virulence factors that cause lethality. It is well-known that
pathogens exhibit a very broad spectrum of strategies to accomplish
these three tasks, yet, phenomenological indicators such as the /LT50/
cannot distinguish the ability of the pathogen to invade the host from
its ability to kill the host. Here, we propose a physical host-pathogen
theory that shows how to disentangle colonization, growth, and pathogen
lethality from the survival kinetics of a host population. Experimental
data from /Caenorhabditis elegans/ nematodes exposed to various human
pathogens shows that host mortality becomes severe only once the
pathogen population has reached its carrying capacity within the host.
In the talk, I will present our theory and compare predictions against
experimental data.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8470/

- Tuesday 9 January at 12:00 - ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA
building, Via Beirut

Title: "Records of Entropy Production at the Nanoscale"

Speaker: Edgar Roldan, Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex
Systems, Dresden, Germany

Abstract:
The laws of thermodynamics can be extended to the nanoscale, where
fluxes are fluctuating quantities. Little is known about extreme-value
statistics of thermodynamic fluxes characterising the most extreme
deviations from the average behaviours. Using Martingale theory, we
study statistics of the negative records of stochastic entropy
production in nonequilibrium steady states, and derive universal
inequalities for such distributions of records. Furthermore, we explore
the implications of our results in two non-equilibrium nanoscopic
systems: single-electron transistors and molecular motors. We report on
the experimental measurement of stochastic entropy production and of
records of negative entropy in a metallic double dot under a constant
external DC bias. Experimental results on the double dot confirm our
theory and reveal a novel bound for the maximal heat that a mesoscopic
system can absorb from its environment. We also explore our results in
active biological processes and find predictions for the maximal
excursion of a molecular motor against the direction of an external force.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8473/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it