ICTP Mini Course by Professor Don B. Zagier (IMP, Bonn and ICTP) - December 2017 - ICTP (Budinich Lecture Hall)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Dec 1 14:03:10 CET 2017

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2017

Professor Don B. Zagier (MPI, Bonn/ICTP)

will give a mini-course (3 lectures) on

Knot invariants, units, K-theory and modular forms

Description of the course:
  I will present joint work with Frank Calegari and Stavros Garoufalidis
in which elements of the Bloch group of a number field (a more
elementary version of algebraic   K-theory that will be explained in
detail in the lectures) produce units in cyclotomic extensions of this
field.  The result was motivated by experimental discoveries relating to
quantum invariants (specifically, Jones polynomials and the Kashaev
invariant) of knots, and had an unexpected application to a proof of a
well-known conjecture of Werner Nahm relating the modularity of certain
q-hypergeometric series to the vanishing of a certain invariant in the
Bloch group.

Lectures are scheduled as follows:

•	Thursday, 7 December, at 14:00

•	Tuesday, 12 December at 16:00

•	Thursday, 14 December at 16:00

VENUE:  Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)