SP Seminar @ICTP Stasi Room, Tuesday 5 December at 11:00 - A. LAZARIDES

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Dec 1 08:58:36 CET 2017

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 5 December at 11:00 a.m.
ICTP, Stasi Seminar Room, first floor Leonardo building

Speaker: Achilleas LAZARIDES (MPI Complex Systems, Dresden, Germany)

Title: Floquet Systems-Ensembles and Order Under Periodic Driving

Abstract:

We study the long-time behaviour of many-body Floquet systems--many-body
quantum systems under temporally periodic driving, arguably the simplest
deviation
from equilibrium.

We begin by showing that generically such interacting systems heat up,
then focus
on two ways to prevent this: integrability and disorder. We show that
the nontrivial
steady states thus achieved may host nontrivial phases and focus on the
recently
observed example of "time crystals". Finally we close with some remarks
on open
floquet systems.