ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday, 4 October at 17:00-ADDENDUM

Math Group math at ictp.it
Mon Oct 3 14:00:40 CEST 2016

Professor Giovanni Panti (University of Udine) will give a preliminary
and basic seminar on:

CONTINUED FRACTIONS

tommorrow October 4th at 15:15, ICTP Stasi Seminar room

as an introduction to his formal seminar at 17:00.

Anyone who is interested is welcome to attend.

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2016

Tuesday, 4 October, at 17.00 hrs.

Giovanni Panti (University of Udine)

Title: A geometric model for the natural extension of continued fraction
maps

Abstract:
Just as classical "Floor" continued fractions induce the Gauss map on
the real unit interval, other euclidean division algorithms (Ceiling,
Even, Odd, NearestInteger, ...) induce piecewise-fractional maps with
integer coefficients. All these maps have natural extensions that can
easily be described on an ad hoc basis. We present a general framework
for dealing with all these maps in a uniform way. The construction is
geometric and well visualizable, exploiting both the interpretation of
continued fractions as symbolic dynamics for the geodesic flow on the
modular surface, and the projective duality between the hyperbolic plane
and the de Sitter space.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)