Seminar Series CMSP @ ICTP Thursday 17 November at 11:30 - L.Stasi Seminar Room - D. JAKSCH

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Nov 8 15:04:03 CET 2016

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics
=======================================

Thursday 17 November at 11.30 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo Building

Dieter JAKSCH
Clarendon Laboratory, University of Oxford, Dept. of Physics, U.K.

'Optically Driven Many-body Quantum Systems'

Abstract:
Recent experiments [1,2] indicate that selective optical driving of phonons
may generate or enhance ordered phases in strongly correlated quantum
materials.
In my talk I will introduce quantum optically inspired models that may help
explain and engineer such phenomena and discuss how these may be quantum
simulated and investigated in systems of ultracold atoms. In particular,
I will
consider a driven fermionic Hubbard model in the strongly correlated
limit where
the onsite interaction dominates over the kinetic energy [3]. I will
show how
driving induced alternating periodic modulation of lattice site energies
changes the
nature of the system into an attractive Luttinger liquid and how this
leads to enhanced
fermion pairing. I will also discuss laser cooling inspired proposals
for using optical
driving to cool phase fluctuations in Josephson junction arrays which
may be applicable
to layered superconductors [4].

[1] D. Fausti, R. I. Tobey, N. Dean, S. Kaiser, A. Dienst, M. C.
Hoffmann, S. Pyon,
T. Takayama, H. Takagi, and A. Cavalleri, Light-Induced
Superconductivity in a
Stripe-Ordered Cuprate, Science 331, 189 (2011).
[2] M. Mitrano, A. Cantaluppi, D. Nicoletti, S. Kaiser, A. Perucchi, S.
Lupi, P. Di Pietro,
D. Pontiroli, M. Ricco, S.R. Clark, D. Jaksch and A. Cavalleri, Possible
light-induced
superconductivity in K3C60 at high temperature, Nature 530, 461-464 (2016).
[3] J. Coulthard, S.R. Clark, S. Al-Assam, A. Cavalleri and D. Jaksch,
Enhancement of
super-exchange pairing in the periodically-driven Hubbard model,
arXiv:1608.03964
2016).
[4] S.J. Denny, S.R. Clark, Y. Laplace, A. Cavalleri and D. Jaksch,
Proposed Parametric
Cooling of Bilayer Cuprate Superconductors by Terahertz Excitation,
Phys. Rev. Lett.
114, 137001 (2015).