Joint ICTP/SISSA SP Seminar 24 May 2016 @ ICTP Stasi Seminar Room

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon May 23 08:41:17 CEST 2016

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday 24 May - 11:30 a.m.

Stasi Seminar Room, ICTP, Leonardo building

Speaker: Emanuele G. DALLA TORRE (Dept. of Physics, Bar Ilan University
Ramat Gan, Israel)

Title: Parametric Resonances: From Single Atoms to Many-body Systems

Abstract:
I will open my talk by explaining the fundamental concept of parametric
resonance and giving examples of some practical application (Paul traps,
Kapitza pendulum). I will then clarify why the existence of this
phenomenon in many-body systems is still debated. Although it is
believed that large systems cannot display true parametric resonances, I
will overview some exceptions to this general rule. In the last part of
the talk, I will describe some new results on the dynamics of
periodically-driven many-body quantum systems.