ICTP Quantitative Life Sciences Section - Upcoming seminars

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Mar 22 09:09:17 CET 2016

Tuesday, 29 March at 14:00

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Speaker: Armita Nourmohammad (Carl Icahn Laboratory, Lewis Sigler
Institute, Princeton University, USA)

Title: *Statistical Physics of Molecular Evolution*

Abstract: Molecular phenotypes, such as gene expression levels or
protein binding affinities, are increasingly accessible to quantitative
measurements. Such phenotypes measure molecular functions and are
important targets of natural selection. However, the map between
encoding DNA sequences and molecular phenotypes is often too difficult
to quantify. This lack of knowledge raises an obvious question: which
evolutionary properties of a phenotype are universal, that is,
independent of the molecular details? In this talk, I will show that
universality is an emerging property of complex phenotypes, which are
encoded by multiple genomic loci. I will introduce a non-equilibrium
framework for adaptive dynamics of such phenotypes in time-dependent
environments, and between co-evolving populations. In time-dependent
environments, changes in the environment drive the evolution of the
species, but not vice versa. As an example, I will present strong
evidence that adaptation dominates the evolution of gene expression
levels in Drosophila. Co-evolving populations reciprocally affect the
fitness of each other, acting as time-dependent environments with
feedback. As an example, I will show evidence of co-adaptation between
interacting cellular populations of HIV viruses and the antibody
repertoire of a patient over the course of an infection. In particular,
I will discuss the conditions for emergence of highly potent broadly
neutralizing antibodies, which are now recognized as critical for
designing an effective vaccine against HIV.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7837/

Thursday, 31 March at 16:00

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Speaker: Saeed Saremi (The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La
Jolla, CA, USA)

Title: *Problems in physics, machine learning, and computational
neuroscience with many scales of length *

Abstract:  Natural images are scale invariant, with structures that span
a vast range of length scales – from the smallest within a few dozen
pixels to large structures the size of the image itself. In this talk, I
will present a novel statistical mechanical model of natural images
rooted in the theory of critical phenomena that sheds light on this
hierarchy of length scales, paving the road for a (nonequilibrium)
statistical model of natural images with few parameters. Studies of
natural image statistics were first done in neuroscience but have since
become of immense interest in machine learning due to the recent
advances in deep learning. My research on natural images fits into a
bigger picture: the general and common problem of "many scales of
length" in physics, machine learning and neural coding.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7833/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary