Alumni Colloquium @ DF - Wed Mar 23 4.30 pm - M. Piani - How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love Entanglement

Rosita Glavina - Dip. Fisica UniTS Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Mon Mar 21 11:59:16 CET 2016

  Within the series of Alumnorum Colloquia 2015/2016, we are pleased to
announce the Colloquium @ DF UniTs:

Marco Piani
SUPA and Department of Physics, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.

"How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love Entanglement"

Wednesday March 23 2016 - 4:30 pm
Lecture room A, F building
Dip. di Fisica - via Valerio, 2 – Trieste

ABSTRACT
Quantum entanglement was famously described by A. Einstein as giving
raise to a “spooky action at a distance”. With the advent of quantum
information processing, that is, with the harnessing of quantum
properties to implement all kinds of tasks — involving communication,
computation, measurement, … — the status of entanglement has changed: it
has moved from that of puzzling — and potentially “scary” —  quantum
feature to that of resource to be characterized, quantified,
manipulated, and ultimately exploited. In this talk I will review some
recent aspects of my research on the operational characterization of
correlations, through which I learned to stop worrying and love
entanglement as key concept to understand nature and quantum mechanics.