Geometric Analysis Seminar, Thursday 17 March, 14:00, SISSA

Math Group math at ictp.it
Mon Mar 14 15:44:07 CET 2016

GEOMETRIC  ANALYSIS   SEMINARS   2016

Thursday, 17  March, at 14:00 hrs.

Lorenzo Mazzieri (University of Trento)

Title: Splitting Principles, Monotonicity Formulas and Geometric
Inequalities

Abstract:
The aim of this seminar is to describe, through a couple of examples
coming form classical potential theory and general relativity, the
interplay between some basic Riemannian splitting principles and the
rigidity case of relevant geometric inequalities, such as the
Willmore-Chern inequality for compact hypersurfaces in Euclidean space
or the Riemannian Penrose inequality for static black holes. As a
counterpart of this fact, we will see that, beside the characterization
of the rigidity case, our methods can be used to produce new
monotonicity formulas, which imply in turn the inequality under
consideration in its full generality.
The results presented are obtained in collaboration with V. Agostiniani.

Venue: SISSA, room A-137

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group