CMSP Seminar at ICTP: D. FAUSTI Thurs. 17 March at 11.30 Luigi Stasi Room

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Mar 14 14:06:14 CET 2016

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

THURSDAY 17 March at 11:30
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, 1st floor, Leonardo Building

Daniele FAUSTI
Università degli Studi di Trieste & Sincrotrone Trieste

'Disclosing fluctuations of lattice atomic positions by non-equilibrium
optical experiments'
  Abstract:
Fluctuations of the atomic positions are at the core of a large class of
unusual material properties ranging from quantum para-electricity and
charge density wave to, possibly, high temperature superconductivity.
Their measurement in solids is subject of an intense scientific debate
focused on the research of a methodology capable of establishing a direct
link between the variance of the ionic displacements and experimentally
measurable observables. In this presentation I will introduce our new
approach to address fluctuation by means of non-equilibrium optical
experiments performed in shot-noise limited regime. The variance of the
time dependent atomic positions and momenta is directly mapped into the
quantum fluctuations of the photon number of the scattered probing light.
A fully quantum description of the non-linear interactions between
photonic and phononic fields pave the way for a direct measurement of
fluctuation in complex systems.