Statistical Phys. Seminar MONDAY 22 FEBRUARY 14:30 - Matthias KRUEGER

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Feb 19 08:58:35 CET 2016

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

MONDAY, 22 February at 14:30 please note exceptional day/time)
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, 1st floor, Leonardo Building

Matthias KRUEGER
MPI - IS, Stuttgart, Germany

"Fluctuation Induced Interactions In and Out of Equilibrium"

Abstract:
Fluctuations of a medium lead to interactions between embedded objects.
Such interactions, first predicted for the (quantum) electromagnetic
field by Hendrik Casimir more than 60 years ago, have in recent years
attracted considerable attention in a variety of systems, including
also soft matter. In this presentation, I will mostly focus on objects
in vacuum that interact via electromagnetic fields, especially
emphasizing the properties and theoretical concepts for systems in
non-equilibrium situations: The interactions (forces) between objects
at different temperatures allow for a variety of effects that are ruled
out in equilibrium. In this non-equilibrium situation, the objects also
exchange energy, known as radiative heat transfer. While for
macroscopic objects this transfer is well understood in terms of
Planck's law of black body radiation, it is fundamentally different
for micro or nano-systems, and I will discuss recent progress in
theoretical understanding.