QLS guest seminar - Tuesday 12 April

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Apr 8 09:39:59 CEST 2016

Tuesday, 12 April at 16:30

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Speaker: *Jacopo GRILLI*

Title: *"* *Coexistence in large ecosystems: from structure to function"*

Abstract:
Biological systems are composed of many interacting components - in
ecological communities, populations of different species. Though the
first models for interacting populations date to almost a century ago,
the role of species interactions in regulating the response to
perturbations, and in shaping community composition, is yet not well
understood. Models for ecological communities have so far concentrated
on small systems. Here I show that, on the other hand, large ecological
communities display simple and consistent patterns that can be
understood as the result of elementary stochastic processes. Using
random matrix techniques, I study how the properties of the interaction
networks influence the stability of ecological communities and the
persistence of the populations. I conclude with a list of challenges
that need to be overcome to have a more complete understanding of
statical and dynamical properties of large ecosystems.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7838/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary