NCG seminar

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Thu Apr 7 13:32:57 CEST 2016

*"NON-COMMUTATIVE GEOMETRY" SEMINAR
<https://www.math.sissa.it/content/non-commutative-geometry-seminars>*

Friday 15 April 2016 at 11:30am
Venue: SISSA, Room 134

Dr. Paolo Antonini (Trieste University)
"Non-integrable Lie algebroids"

Abstract:
In this seminar we report on work in progress with Iakovos
Androulidakis concerning the integrability problem of transitive Lie
algebroids.

In many constructions in non-commutative geometry the passage from a
singular space to a C*-algebra involves the use of a Lie groupoid as an
intermediate desingularization. The infinitesimal data of a Lie groupoid
is a Lie algebroid and in general is not possible to integrate a Lie
algebroid to a Lie groupoid (in contrast to the theory of Lie algebras).

Lie algebroids are very common: for example foliations, Poisson
manifolds and connections on principal bundles are described by these
structures.

The major part of the seminar will be concerned with the discussion of
Lie algebroids: basic definitions, examples, what does it mean
to integrate an algebroid to a Lie groupoid, the obstructions to the
integrability of Crainic-Fernandes and the discussion of an important
non-integrable example given by Molino.

In the last part we will explain our idea of removing the obstructions
of a transitive algebroid passing to a suitably good extension. In this
case one can still perform some of the standard constructions in index
theory and non commutative geometry.