Seminar @ DF - Wed 6 Apr 4.30 pm - A. Taracchini - "Observation of gravitational waves"

Rosita Glavina rosita at ts.infn.it
Mon Apr 4 12:28:53 CEST 2016

  We are pleased to announce the seminar @ DF UniTs:

Andrea Taracchini

Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Albert Einstein Institute, Potsdam-Golm, Germany

"Observation of gravitational waves from the dynamical strong-field
regime of general relativity"

Wednesday, April 6 - 4:30 pm
Department of Physics - University of Trieste
Lecture Room A, F building, via Valerio 2

ABSTRACT:
The direct detection of gravitational waves from a black-hole binary
merger by advanced LIGO represents a paramount achievement that was made
possible by the unique combination of improved experimental techniques
and deep understanding of the two-body dynamics in general relativity. I
will present the main ideas behind the method of detection and discuss
the role of waveform modeling. I will also review what we can learn from
this detection in the way of constraints on astrophysics and tests of
general relativity.​
Andrea Taracchini, a former student of our Physics Department, is a
co-author of the paper about gravitational waves that recently appeared.
Andrea was awarded both the bachelor (2006) and the master (2008)
degrees in physics at the University of Trieste. He then moved to the
University of Maryland for a PhD on the numeric simulation of binary
black-hole systems.
Since September 2014 he holds a post-doc position at the Max Planck
Institute for Gravitational Physics, Postdam, Germany, and is part of
the LIGO team.