ICTP Seminar Series- Selected Topics in Computer Science - Friday 27 November at 16:00

Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Nov 16 16:54:31 CET 2015

SELECTED TOPICS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE

Friday, 27 November, at 16:00 hrs.

Wayne Patterson (Howard University)

Advanced Cybersecurity Institute for Developing Countries: A Proposal

Abstract:
The major challenges in Cybersecurity are unique in several ways: given
the Internet and other technologies --- we live in a world with no
borders. Everyone in any part of the world needs to have the same level of
expertise to address cyberattacks. In another regard, we are learning that
the skills necessary to understand this field involve not only Computer
Science, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering --- but also Physics,
Economics and Psychology.  The levels of expertise necessary to prepare
Cybersecurity researchers are less available in developing countries. We
have proposed an ongoing program of "Advanced Cybersecurity Institutes" to
be held regularly in various developing sites to deepen the level of
expertise needed. The purpose of this talk will be to outline our plan for
this series, indicate models being discussed, describe who is involved in
this initiative, and discuss the plans for funding this approach.

Bio:
The speaker, in the field of Cybersecurity, has conducted research,
published many papers and a textbook, and lectured in this field for over
30 years, both in the US and Canada and in such diverse countries as
Ethiopia and Indonesia, Cameroon and the Philippines, Nigeria and Romania,
and South Africa and Mexico.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)