Roberto Feola's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Nov 16 09:02:26 CET 2015

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

*Title:*/ Quasi-periodic solutions for fully nonlinear NLS/

Roberto Feola, SISSA,

Tuesday, 24 November, room 133,  14-15

*Abstract: *We consider a class of fully nonlinear, autonomous and
reversible Schrödinger equations on the circle and  we prove the
existence and the stability of Cantor families of (small amplitude)
quasi-periodic solutions. The proof is based on a combination of
different ideas:  (i) we perform a “weak” Birkhoff normal form step in
order to find an approximately invariant manifold on which the dynamics
is approximately integrable; (ii) we introduce a suitable generalization
of a KAM nonlinear iteration for “tame” and ''unbounded'' vector fields
  based on the invertibility of the linearized equation in a
neighborhood of the origin; (iii) we exploit the  “pseudo-differential
structure” of the vector field and we prove the invertibility of the
linearized operator, using a regularization procedure which conjugates
the operator to a differential operator with constant coefficients plus
a bounded remainder. This latter step is obtained through
transformations generated by torus diffeomorphisms and
pseudo-differential operators. Then we use a KAM-like reducibility
scheme that reduces to constant coefficients the linearized operator at
the solution. This gives the linear stability.